Monday, April 22, 2019

Swamp creature

Hi everyone,

Before I discuss the last couple of days on the waterway I need to share something really disturbing that I saw earlier today. I was motoring along, enjoying weather that allowed me to utilize a t-shirt, when I saw a flying critter land on the bow pulpit, about 25 feet away. I lashed the helmet and went forward to inspect my visitor. Looking at it closely, I realized that it was not a small bird, but rather something that looked horribly like a horsefly. Now I have seen many horseflies, and in fact, have been bitten by more than a few, but this thing was a monster. You could see the mandibles on this horror show and I expect their action would be akin to a drilling rig. The fly was about the size of a half dollar. I thought about killing it, but my fly swatter is rather wimpy and I didn't want to piss it off. The heavy stainless winch handle might do the job, but I couldn't risk a miss. In the end, I went back to steering and regarding the fly nervously. Eventually, it got bored and left, lumbering off like a Sikorsky Blackhawk. I hope it never returns!

Back in Savannah I had enjoyed a really nice visit from my friend Kim Blodgett from Vermont, and her boyfriend Jim. They were spending the weekend there, looking at houses in preparation for moving there, and I joined them for a walk around the downtown. Great visit. Next morning I got up early and made it to Beaufort, SC, about 60 miles. Had the chance to walk around yet another beautiful old Southern town. In the morning the bridge didn't open till 9 so I had a late start, but still knocked off a few miles, and am anchored maybe 20 miles south of Charleston. Betsy, if you are reading this, I will be stopping at the megadock for fuel around 10:30 or 11. Would love to say hi if you are in town. Will probably continue onward though.

Best to all, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment