Thursday, April 25, 2019

Into North Carolina

Hi everyone,

Not much to report, another 65 mile day. Doesn't sound like much, but remember, I am going at a brisk walk, or maybe a slow jog.

So here is something noteworthy. Earlier today I transited the infamous Rock Pile, a notoriously narrow and rocky area of the ICW near Myrtle Beach. I called ahead and found that there was a southbound tug and barge coming thru but I was confident I could get thru before it showed up. Sadly, I was almost thru when I encountered it coming round the bend. It was big and bad, taking up 90% of the channel. I slowed to a crawl and moved over to the right as far as I dared. BAM! My keel hit a ledge. I put it in reverse and backed away. I had found myself a pocket of deep water, and I stayed there till the barge squeezed by. I could have touched it with the boat hook. Thankfully, it was a light hit, but I shall be looking at the keel closely come bailout time.

I should start a dredging company. I seem to be pretty adept at scraping the bottom on this trip!

Best to all, Charlie the dredger

1 comment:

  1. Flash News from the ICW Cruising Guide Editors:
    We are currently going into a reprint of our "Advice to travelers" since new routes have been recently dredged by a well known Vermont Sailor. We all want to thank him for his dedication.

    Safe travel my Brother.

    MapleJack

    ReplyDelete