Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Storm coming

Hi everyone,

Another lovely day, motoring thru the Georgia lowcountry. I did run hard aground, at close to low tide, and I sat there for about 30 minutes with my head hung in shame. Fortunately, no one happened along while I was thus compromised, and I finally kedged myself off with an anchor off the stern. Other than that little mishap it really was nice, and I logged 50 miles. The previous day I had lingered at Plum Orchard, where I was welcomed by Chris and Greg, the delightful volunteers that look after the fabulous Carnegie mansion there. They remembered me from last fall, which was really nice.

The weather forecast is looking rather grim, with small craft warnings for Thursday night and a gale warning for Friday. I have identified a half dozen potential anchorages on the chart, from about 20 miles to 40 miles from where I am located now. So I will get underway before sunup and go as far as I comfortably can, and then hunker down for at least 36 hours. There is also a spot about 45 miles away that I will not attempt, as it is subject to shoaling, and I want to transit that spot on a rising tide, at least halfway thru the cycle. Probably wait for Saturday to do that.

Best to all, Charlie

3 comments:

  1. The Georgia ICW is treacherous. No shame in running aground there. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlie, we’re expecting the stormy weather here on Friday. Hope you can find safe shelter. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you at Plum Orchard Mansion - again. Chris and Greg

    ReplyDelete