Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Skinny water

Good evening everyone,

The first 5 miles between my anchorage and Mcclellanville were done at dead low tide, and it was shallow! I had the depthsounder alarm set at 7 1/2 feet and it emits a high pitched whine when I reach that level. The alarm was sounding probably half the time during those 5 miles. You could see shoals sticking right out into the channel. Fortunately, at that hour there was nobody else on the ICW. And if I had run aground, no big deal, the tide would lift me off in short order.

I am in a different sort of environment here, since leaving Charleston. The water is the color of root beer, a far cry from the Exumas! The trees are different. Less Spanish Moss, and fewer palm trees. Beautiful areas abound, although development continues relentlessly. I am anchored at the north end of the Waccamaw River with a couple of other boats. Looks like one more decent day, then rain on Friday. Was able to sail for a while today, but still mostly motoring. Hope to do more sailing on the big waters of North Carolina.

Cheers, Charlie

1 comment:

  1. I remember flying the jib in the ICW in a following breeze. Exciting and terrifying. Do you have a towing service like TowBoat US?

    ReplyDelete