Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Aground at high tide

Hi everyone,

It was a harrowing 10 minutes when I ran aground at almost high tide a mile or so north of the Ben Sawyer bridge outside Charleston. I was in the channel, a bit over to one side, and the alarm went off as I was moving along at 6 knots. The boat hit less than a second after the alarm sounded, indicating a steep bank. I knew I was in trouble. With 5 or 6 feet of tidal range the boat was going to be high and dry if I didn't act fast. I put the rudder hard over and gave it a lot of throttle. The boat pivoted, pointing towards deeper water, but she was stuck. So, in record time I shackled on a 20 pound Danforth and ran it out in the dinghy, dropping it in deeper water. Dashing back to the boat, I led the anchor line back to my big cockpit winch. About this time a powerboat zipped by and gave me a much welcomed wake. The boat bumped to freedom, I hoisted the anchor, and continued on my way. If I were a drinking man I would have poured myself a stiff drink!

Other than that, not much to report. I got fuel at the megadock, 10.2 gallons worth. The guy that pumped it said that the day before he pumped 6000 gallons for a megayacht. Said it took 2 hours to fill it with a high speed pump, and the bill was over 18 grand! That would heat our house for 10-15 years!

Best to all, Charlie

BTW, I am anchored near McClellanville, SC.

1 comment:

  1. Guess those powerboat wakes are useful for something ��
    Glad to hear you are unstuck and on the move again. Hooe to see you soon!)

    ReplyDelete