Sunday, April 28, 2019

Relentless wind

Hi all,

Well now, I am thoroughly pooped. 75 miles today, and not by choice. The wind built up strong in the afternoon of the past 3 or 4 days. This meant that by 1PM the wind was howling, and stealing a great deal of energy from yours truly. I had hoped to anchor in Swansboro, but the 30 knot wind, combined with a very strong tidal current rendered the anchorage untenable. The 2 marinas there were very exposed, with non floating docks, and I could see there would be problems with the well being of the boat. Great, no marinas for 30 miles. One possible anchorage, but the guidebook said shoaling was a problem. Looking at the chartbook, which was apt to be torn from my grasp by the wind at any second, I noticed a spot of deeper water just outside the channel, about 25 miles away. I had no other option so I went for it. I was ashamed of myself for motoring in such a fine breeze, but I would have been aground in 30 seconds had I tried. Got to the spot about a half hour before dark. Completely exposed, but it will suffice for the night. A bit like anchoring last night, in Wrightsville Beach,  another woefully inadequate anchorage. Will be heading more inland tomorrow. Can't wait!

Best to all, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment