Wednesday, November 7, 2018

It's not perfect

This morning I encountered a certain little insect that resides in these parts and is known as a no see um. I had spent the night aboard with nary a problem and so I nonchalantly made my way up on deck to get underway. They materialized instantly, from nowhere, going immediately into my hair, mouth, ears, and nose, biting relentlessly as they went. I retreated quickly to the cabin and procured a can of Off, which I figured would poison the little cretins. Alas, the spray nozzle didn't work. I fiddled around with the orifice, contemplated cutting the can open, but decided that the potential for injury and toxic shock was too high. After a heartfelt curse delivered at the Off corporation, the designer of the spray can, and his forebears for 10 generations, I hustled back on deck and retrieved the anchor at warp speed. The bugs bit incessantly and since both of my hands were occupied I shook my head wildly to keep the bugs away. It didn't work. Finally, I secured the anchor, left the muddy mess where it lay, ran aft, shoved the engine into gear and gave it full throttle. The breeze created by the movement blew them away.

It turned out to be another lovely day, but I couldn't stop thinking about all of the spray can nozzle failures I have had in my lifetime....

1 comment:

  1. WELL IM STILL ANSWERING YOUR LETTER AN WANT TO KNOW MORE.ITS NOW 9;30 GOING TO DO SOME OF MY MAIL,AN PLAY A GAME.DID YOU KNOW. THAT KIND OF BUG WAS. THERE?HOW DO PEOPLE DEAL WITH THEM?ARE YOU OKAY?I GO BACK AN CHECK THOSE. CANS AGAN.I HAD ONE THAT DID NOT WORK,SO I TOOK A NEDDLE TO MINE WHERE THE SPRAY COMES OUT.BRING THEM BACK WHERE YOU BOUGHT THEM.HAPPY SAILING.E/M

    ReplyDelete