Sunday, November 11, 2018

Fernandina

Happy to report that I sailed down to Fernandina Beach this morning. It was only around 14 miles but there was a cranking good north wind and I took advantage of it. I had an anchor dragging incident last night which was disconcerting to say the least. Apparently, at the change of the tide last night at about 3, the anchor did not reset. There is a strong current and my guess is that the anchor got fouled in some way, like by a sunken branch, or similar. So I ended up 2 or 3 hundred yards north on the river, where it finally held. Doug had risen on his boat around 4, noticed things looked different, and texted me. In retrospect, given the current, I should have had 2 anchors out, in Bahamian fashion. I have gotten lazy, I am afraid. Since the wind has picked up and the current is strong here as well, I decided to rent a city mooring. I just hope it is better maintained than the one I rented on the Hudson!

Best, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment