Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Conveyor belt

T'was a bit of a nip in the air this morning, along with a cranking stiff breeze, so you may rest assured I was well swaddled in every article of clothing I could find. The chill kept the Floridians inside so the ICW was pretty well deserted. I pulled in to North Palm Beach and anchored around 2, after having negotiated 7 opening bridges, with all the attendant drama. I rowed ashore and headed to West Marine to pick up my new anchor and was happy to see it had actually been set aside as promised. Now, the only challenge was how to get it back to the boat. No taxi for a cheapskate like me. Blessed with a strong back, and a relatively weak mind, I simply hoisted it over my shoulder and nonchalantly headed down US 1 towards the anchorage. The highlight was crossing the 6 lanes of traffic at the light. I can only imagine the conversations in the cars. "Whoa, look at that idiot! What the heck is that?" And so on. But I did it.

Oh yeah. The conveyor belt. It felt like I was on one as I approached the Jupiter federal bridge this morning during maximum flood tide. Man, was that a strong current. I kept doing circles while waiting for the opening, and it was amazing how I just kept getting swept closer and closer. But it opened, and I shot thru the span like a ball from a cannon. Never in any real danger but it would be a very poor time to have a mechanical malfunction.

All the best, Charlie


No comments:

Post a Comment