Monday, October 15, 2018

Through the swamp

Lovely day! Quite warm, nice breeze. But it was on the nose and the route was generally very narrow, so it was all motor, for almost 9 hours. The drug portion f the canal is rather monotonous but you really have to be on your toes to avoid hitting trees overhead and submerged logs below. This part of the canal is so narrow it is very difficult to turn the boat around. I know, because I had to do it at one point. The Pasquotank River is the real gem. Gorgeous! Felt like passing through the forest primeval.

Arrived in Elizabeth City  around 3 and was very surprised to find myself the only boat. No greater as in previous years. A couple of demolished boats adorning the pier next door. I schlepped into town with a big load of rancid laundry and when I came back met Paul, who had come in with an Alberg 35 of a vintage similar to mine. We will get together tomorrow for a visit.

I am in the south now. I was passed by a little Jon boat that had 2 gigantic flags flying, one US, and one Confederate. At the courthouse there was a monument to the Confederate heroes and a sign that referred to the burning of the original by Federal troops. There are also some of the small palette trees around,  first I have seen. And, the first mosquitoes I have seen on the trip. Time to put up the netting!

Take care, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment