Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Architectural critic

Hi everyone,
Here is an area in which I have zero qualifications but I can no longer keep my mouth shut. As I am motoring along the developed parts of the ICW I cannot help but be struck by the shockingly bad taste on full display. The houses, in most cases are placed as by jowl next to each other, and they are mostly huge, yet screaming cheap. Every sort of embellishment and doodad is sprouting up in all directions. The houses are typically separated by 15 or 20 feet and they all hire the same landscapers. But what really kills me are the docks. Everyone just has to have one. They consist of innumerable pilings marching out for hundreds of feet to the edge of the channel. There will be some sort of tacky turnabout in a lift, and then a gazebo. So you go no more than 40 or 50 feet and you have another 2 or 3 hundred foot dock with another crappy boat and a gazebo with a fake eagle on top. I don't think these folks realize how trashy and soul sucking the effect is. And these places cost a ton of money. Meanwhile, the undeveloped shoreline is simply sublime. Maybe it's just me.....

In South Carolina now!

Best to all, Charlie

1 comment: