Saturday, October 6, 2018

Boat show and onward

I was shocked to see just how big the Annapolis sailboat show was. And exhausted after having walked miles during the course of the day. It was actually quite a bit of fun, especially going through the various tents and talking to ancillary product vendors. As far as the boats themselves, I would have to say that I have seen the future, and by and large I do not like it. Smoked plexiglass, decals, drink holders, cavernous interiors, and all manner of unnecessary complications seem to be the order of the day. Hundreds of years of slow and careful ev olution in yacht design have been consigned to the   rubbish heap, as bean counters, marketing people, and interior designers have taken over. But since I no longer have to work on these boats, I am OK with it all. As I walked along the docks I thought of how the boat buying public is trying to buy a dream, often at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, and yet here I am, actually doing it, at a fraction of the cost. And I see the huge marinas, filled with hundreds of boats, that never go anywhere. And feel a bit of sadness, for all those thwarted adventurers, hoping, one day, to cast off the lines, and free themselves from the shackles of modern day life.I wish they could all experience a long cruise in a small boat.

Left Annapolis this morning and mostly motored to Galesville for a change of scenery. Quiet town, Lots of marinas. Will head further south tomorrow.

Best to all, Charlie

1 comment:

  1. Spent a lot of time in Galesville as a kid, West River Marina and West River Sailing Club where I learned to sail in the Rhodes designed Penguin and later the Jet 14. Used to love to explore what we called Big Island, which we could row out to from the marina. I don't think it was that big.

    ReplyDelete