Monday, September 5, 2022

Sassafras River

 Hi everyone!

I see I haven't posted for several days. It's due to a combination of being busy sailing and not having internet. At the moment I am anchored i Georgetown, Maryland. It's a hot day with very little wind. After spending a night in Cape May, I decided to grab the opportunity to travel up Delaware Bay. Those who have passed this way know it can be an ugly body of water. Strong tidal currents, heavy shipping traffic, and only a couple of places to seek refuge, make for a tough 56 miles. The tide was going to be perfect  and the wind would make for a beam reach, so I could't resist. And I was very reluctant to hang out on the Jersey coast with peak hurricane season here.

I used the engine for about an hour, which got me through Cape May, through the short canal, and out into the bay a bit. I went with a full main and the big genoa. It was blowing up to about 18 or 20 and made for a great ride. There were a couple of sailboats that were too big to fit under the bridges on the canal and I met up with them. We stayed more or less together, with White Seal pulling ahead of the smaller one, a Beneteau of around 50 feet in length. That was satisfying, but the the wind died and they unrolled their genoa all the way, pulling ahead. Eventually, we all resorted to our engines and they left me behind.

Eventually, around 3:00, I entered the C&D canal, which can be a bit nerve wracking. It accomodates large ships, and believe me, caution is the order of the day. But I did not encounter any, and made it without incident to Chesapeake City, where I anchored.

This swret small town is home to one of Mary's childhood friends, Clara Childers, now married to Matt Brinkerhoff. They had been forewarned, and so, the next morning I enjoyed breakfast at their house. I decided to stay anchored where I was for the day, and sleep and read. Hey, I'm retired. Clara and Matt came to visit the boat, late in the afternoon. It was great to see them.

The next morning I eased carefully out into the canal and motored for a couple hours to Turkey Point, where the Bay becomes wide enough to sail. The wind was light, and on the nose, so I started beating to windward. Picking my way around crab pots, I entered the Sassafras and sailed to the entrance of Turner Creek. It was a very narrow but adequate channel and once inside offered complete protection. There was one other cruising boat. I spent the night there and took a couple trips ashore to ckeck out the small but lovely county park. I am in the south now. Different trees, architecture, boats, people, etc. A confused Marylander was flying the Confederate flag on his crab boat. Maybe his ancestors had wanted Maryland to secede. I passed a Grade A plantation a ways back and some lesser examples here on the Sassafras. More to come. Crummy weather coming and I am looking forward to getting all the salt rinse off. White Seal is covered with it. Hoping to get ashore and score some fresh food. Last of the oranges had gone bad. Must. Avoid. Scurvy.

Best to all, Charlie

PS I was hoping to get some photos or video on here, but it is simply beyond my capabilities. Very frustrating! I can navigate a sailboat for tens of thousands of miles but getting a photo online is just not possible! Johannah showed me, but obviously the lesson didn't stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment