Saturday, December 8, 2018

Christmas boat parade

Ok folks, here's something we don't have in Vermont. All of the anchored boats in No Name Harbor have been expelled temporarily to Biscayne Bay for several hours while a procession of highly decorated boats circle thru the anchorage in front of hundreds of onlookers. Quite festive, and noisy. At 9 PM we are allowed back in and I expect it will be a mad rush.

My radio arrived today and I look forward to getting forecasts on it. Tomorrow looks like a potential crossing day, but there are some variables I don't like the look of, so I will assess again in the morning. If I cross to Bimini it would unfortunately be at low tide when I would get there. The entrance is super sketchy in westerly winds and very shallow. An alternative would be to go around the north end of the island, but then I am committed to another 80 miles and a night out on the banks with a potential dose of crummy weather. And to be quite frank, this singlehanding business is hard work and I am not getting any younger! So I will err on the side of caution in the morning.

Best to all, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment