Sunday, October 23, 2022

Secret anchorage

Hi everyone,

Well, its not so secret anymore since it has been identified by the Skipper Bob guidebook. I first anchored here in the spring of 1985 while on my way north. It offers 360 degree protection and features nice soft mud and thick marsh grass along the shore. About ten feet deep right up to the shore. Never seen another cruising boat although an occasional small fishing boat passes by. When I was here with Meg in 1990 I climbed the mast after dark and could see one faint light far off in the distance. That has changed, as the relatively high ground on the other side of the Waccamaw has gotten developed. Quite a few houses have been built and a good sized marina has been built not far away. I expect this anchorage will never get developed since it is essentially part of a giant swamp. Although I suppose it could all be filled in someday if the US population keeps growing. Anyway, it's a really beautiful spot and I kind of wish there was a good storm so I could take full advantage of it.

I was able to mostly sail today which was very cathartic after spending days motoring thru heavily developed areas. A short day, but lovely!

Best to all, Charlie

3 comments:

  1. As our kids would say; Never wish for a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was sailing South this year. We had excellent wind from the Northwest in 2020 when sailing down the Waccamaw River.. We found the next stretch of the ICW interesting with the charging currents dependent on haw close you were to a particular inlet.

    ReplyDelete