Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Hard aground

 Hi folks,

Today was a long day. I knocked off quite a few miles and was quite pleased with myself for negotiating the shoal prone Bogue Sound without touching the bottom. Alas, I pulled into the Mile Hammock anchorage in Camp Lejuene and found it to be quite full. Nosing around the perimeter I managed to run gently aground. And the tide was falling. I quickly ran a kedge anchor out in the dinghy, and led the rode back to my primary winch in the cockpit. I did manage to get the boat turned around, but she wouldn't move forward. Finally, I said the heck with it and made dinner. The next high tide is at 0400, so I'll get up around 3:30 and pull her forward about 10 feet. This place is totally protected, with no current and no wakes so it is not a big deal. Other than to my ego..... She will be heeled over at low tide, but it will be pitch dark then so minimal embarrassment!

And its gonna be cold! A freeze warning has been issued for the area. Time to get out the long johns, hat, mittens, etc.

All the best. Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment