Sunday, September 16, 2018

Mast down

Man, am I beat! Out in the blazing hot sun, removing the boom, loosening turnbuckles, folding sails, etc. and thinking that this is not representative of September in Vermont. All performed during the middle of the day in order to ensure the maximum level of discomfort. Made me feel like I was back on the time clock. However, it allowed me to get the mast unstepped which is always kind of a big deal. Chip Taub, who owns the marina here actually worked with me at the boat shop back about 25 years ago and it is great as always to see him. He is one heck of a busy guy here for the entire summer. He does allow that he has some free time in January and February. This is probably one of the coolest marinas around, based on a couple of very old stone warehouses that date back to the old canal days.

While I was getting the mast ready, one of our old Bahamas acquaintances walked up and said hello. Kevin and Debbie were on the boat Grace and I remember meeting them if I remember correctly in Daytona Beach. They have been going south every winter for the last 9 years and I hope to get some updates from them before I leave in the morning.

My friend and neighbor Roger is showing up tomorrow morning to help me take the boat through the locks. An extra hand is greatly appreciated for this section due to the propensity of the boat to move around dramatically when water is being let in to the chamber. No real problems going down in the locks, it is more of a concern when going up. There can be considerable turbulence.

This morning was very leisurely, as I had only a short distance to go to reach the marina where I am now. The sunrise, under the guns of the fort, was spectacular. Fog shrouded the wooded terrain, and blanketed the water until the slightest touch of a breeze started to blow it away. I did some general housekeeping and maintenance work. I may have the chance to do a bit more in the morning before Roger comes.

I found out from Chip that there is a very shallow spot in the channel, several miles south of here in Benson.  This may be very tricky and I intend to approach it at a dead slow speed and prepare to go bump. If necessary, we can anchor temporarily, or just run softly aground, then sound a passage with the aid of the dinghy. We have a draft of 5'8'', which represents the amount of water we need to float. I remember this same spot being a concern 8 years ago. But the water is even lower now than it was then.

Charlie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie I'm enjoying your blog already. Please keep the entries coming. When will you be in the Bay? If you plan to do some cruising and we can find the time Michelle and I would love to join you. We can do some chicken necking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, love to have you guys along! Going pretty slow at the moment. Mast still down. Looks like I have to motor further south to get it stepped.

      Delete