Friday, September 14, 2018

Final Provisioning and Goodbyes

Today was spent schlepping another big load out to the boat and attempting to stow it away. A few more smallish items in the morning should complete the job. I just checked the weather forecast and it looks like very light southerly winds, becoming light and variable. Had been hoping to sail down to Ticonderoga, but that may be wishful thinking and it may be necessary to exercise the motor. Not too happy about that, but we will see what tomorrow brings.

Paid a visit to my wife Meg's mom, who is living in an assisted care home in Middlebury. She is quite excited to follow the trip, as she has done in the past. We also received bon voyage visits from our friends Jim and Elise Blair, and Douglas and Catherine Brooks. Spoke as well with other friends and neighbors, both landbound and aquatic.

Tomorrow is our anniversary, Meg and I having been married for 28 years. It was 8 years ago tomorrow that we left for our family cruise, having taken our daughter out of her sophomore year of high school. I am going to miss her so much and will be looking forward to having her join me at some point down south. She will be my support system back home and given modern technology we will be talking on a very regular basis. This is the toughest part of leaving on a trip like this and I worry to no end about whether it is the right thing to do.

It's also very hard to leave a beautiful place like Vermont, especially this time of year, when the temperatures have moderated and the air is fresh and clear. Walking around the property, looking at the buildings, and the home which I love so much, makes me aware of how much more than usual I appreciate it, knowing it will soon be a more distant memory. Something that I will appreciate with a real intensity upon my return. There is something about casting off a mooring, then returning to that same mooring, many months later, with thousands of miles under your keel, that gives you a sense of appreciation.

Charlie

1 comment:

  1. Bon voyage Charlie! We are looking forward to following along on your journey the way we did with Mary's blog before. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete