Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Solomon's, Maryland

Hi everyone,

I am about halfway up Chesapeake Bay,  anchored in Solomons. When I left Hampton, I headed north along the western shore to a place that I am not going to reveal, in deference to my friends who invited me to visit. This is going to be another of those secret, special spots that need to be protected from the hordes. I had received directions from Chris and Bill beforehand. It looked and sounded shallow, but they assured me that there was adequate water. With a bit of trepidation I made my way to the entrance of this secluded creek and very slowly followed the circuitous passage in. After the narrow entrance the creek opened up again, to reveal the most bucolic vista imaginable. Very quiet and peaceful with a few pleasant looking homes peering out from the densely forested properties. It would be an absolutely ideal place to anchor, with complete protection and minimal boat traffic. In fact, the only boat I saw underway was my own. But, I didn't need to anchor, since Chris and Bill had offered me the use of their dock. I spent a lovely evening with them and they took me for a drive into the small town, followed by dinner back at the house. The two of them have a Dickerson 41 ketch, which they have sailed across the Atlantic, and typically cruise to the Canadian Maritimes each summer. I hated to leave their hospitality,  but I did leave early this morning at dawn.

Today was uneventful until I got about 5 miles from my destination, and the wind switched to dead ahead and picked up to the 20-30 range. I commenced to receiving a thorough beating and got really soaked smashing into the waves. But I am in a very peaceful anchorage and should enjoy a good nights rest.

Goodnight all,

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment