Thursday, May 2, 2019

Great sailing

Hi everyone,

Am presently tied up at the community dock in Elizabeth City, a welcoming community well known among cruising sailors. Last night I had anchored at the head of the Alligator River, a place that seems quite vast and remote,  considering its location on the East Coast. No cell phone service. Pretty special to see mile after mile with no human habitation. There is, however, an airbase somewhere nearby and fighter jets were flying around at low elevation well after dark. I figure the local constituents ( bear, deer, and the rare red wolf) don't have any representation, because it was really loud. But once the flights ended it was very peaceful. Today I went about 50 miles, mostly under sail, and at a pretty good clip. At times doing 7 knots. Not bad, considering the mangy forest of crud growing on the bottom. I had started out with the big Genoa, but as usual, the forecasted 10 knots turned into 25, and so I downsized to the working job for the rest of the way. Tomorrow, I return to the swamp. No, not Washington, DC, but rather the Dismal Swamp Canal. It really is remarkable, the variety of environments I have encountered on this trip.

Looking forward to the swamp,

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment