Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Homeward bound!

 Hi everyone!

Presently at Castleton on Hudson where we will unstep mast. We signed in last night, paid up, and spent the night on the mooring. My goal was to be by the crane at 9 AM, pull the mast, and get underway. However, a Canadian boat, which shall remain unnamed, came up the river and took the spot at 8:45 without bothering to sign in or checking with the only other boat (me). Since they are a ketch, they have blown the entire morning and have just gotten the mizzen down. Unfortunately, I am in a hurry to get home for a big family gathering coming up in Connecticut. We may end up having to spend another night here. We should have been underway at this time, which is noon.

Enough whining Charlie! I am enjoying the company of Ron Rost again, who joined me i Atlantic Highlands. I had had a very fast and boisterous sail up the Jersey shore in a SE wind. The official NOAA forecast had been for 10-15 knots. Windy.com had called for 20 with gusts to 28 and that is what we had. I did not see any other sailboats out there, in fact, very few vessels of any kind. It was very rough going out the Cape May inlet in spite of the flood tide. Once out however, and able to beam reach, it was pretty spectacular. I got to Sandy Hook around 11 PM when the wind died. The seas were still quite large and the tide was ebbing at the Hook. I ended up taking the sails down and just drifting till about4:30 AM when I started the engine and went with the flood into Atlantic Highlands. Ron joined me later in the day.

The next morning, in a brisk NW wind, we sailed off the anchor and headed thru New York Harbor cloaehauled the entire time. I started off with storm jib and full main.  The wind dropped a bit in the lower harbor so I put on the working jib. Then, when it picked up later we reefed the main. It was just spectacular sailing. Truly a great life experience, sailing thru that harbor in a really stiff breeze. We managed to stay sailing almost to the Tappan Zee, where the tide turned and the wind died. We spent the night anchored at Nyack, just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. 

Next day had us enjoying the stunning section of the Hudson that inspired the Hudson River School of painting. Bear Mountain Bridge, West Point, World's End, Storm King, and Bannerman's Castle were all inspiring. A night anchored at Norrie Point State Park, another lovely day on the river, and here we are!

Best to all, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment