Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Rain, rain

Hi everyone,

Pretty dreary around here but I took the opportunity to do an oil change and tighten up the v-belts. Yesterday, I varnished the coamings and the undersides of the spreaders. If the rain stops I will try to visit the old Matton Shipyard, which I remember seeing the first time 50 years ago. And the canal museum as well. I really like this town.

My friend Carroll may be able to join me for the canal portion on Saturday, assuming it opens. When I came thru the federal lock at Troy the other day, it really made me aware of how helpful it would be to have another hand. There was a ferocious current running with the high water, probably the reason they haven't opened up the Champlain portion yet.

Hope everyone staying dry, Charlie

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the Federal Lock! I remember it well. The wind was blowing something fierce, so the two of us were both struggling to keep the boat parallel to the wall. I was fending off as hard as I could when my boat hook collapsed, sending me over the life lines into the water. Not a happy situation! I'm so glad (and totally impressed!) that you were able to navigate that lock running a ferocious current single-handedly. Nicely done, Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Charlie - seems like you are holding up well with all the challenges of solo sailing! See you soon in VT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope for REALLY dry weather so we can do this!!

    ReplyDelete