Sunday, May 5, 2019

Goodbye hatch board

Good evening all,

Last night, around midnite, I was awoken by a strong gust of wind that healed the boat over and caused my hatchboard to go over the side. It was a bit of a surprise, having been flat calm all evening, but I had failed to be prepared and paid the price. For the time being I am using a section of bunkboard to keep the rain out of the companionway. I feel very stupid about this, but will end up making a new one when I get home. In the meantime I'll pick up a piece of plywood and make a temporary one. It is annoying to think that the missing hatch is only a few feet away, but it may as well be on the far side of the moon for any chance I have of getting it back. Water visibility is zero, and the currents are probably moving it around. Oh well.

Twas a rainy day here in Hampton. I went ashore in between showers, looking to buy a Sunday paper. None for sale. Just beer, cigarettes, soda, and candy. Does no one read the paper anymore? Truly, this can't be good.

Forecast for tomorrow is 15 to 20 out of the north and I have to decide whether I want to beat to windward. I am thinking perhaps not. So I can scare up a quarter sheet of plywood for the hatch. And perhaps locate some reading material.

To literacy,

Charlie

2 comments: