Friday, May 17, 2019

Cape May

Hi everyone,

I had laboriously typed up an entry last evening but then twitched a finger and the whole thing disappeared.  I was too tired to make another attempt so just crawled into my bunk and slept the sleep of the exhausted. Mary has told me not to tell readers about my tech shortcomings, saying it makes me look like an idiot, but hey, I know it, you know it, and it's all ok!

To recap, after leaving Annapolis I had made it into the C&D canal, where I spent the night at a charmingly quaint little town called Chesapeake City. It is a survivor from the canal building time of around 150 years ago. Very small houses prevail. Not much commerce to be observed but great for the curious pedestrian. In the morning it was raining steadily and it was quite cold, with a cold front due shortly, but I headed out anyway with a favorable tide to challenge Delaware Bay. It should be noted that this is a sea level canal-no locks. I got thru with no issues, the cold front passed, and the Bay was pretty mellow. However, you feel a bit like a target in a shooting gallery as there is a continual parade of commercial traffic. Some of it is very large and moving with considerable speed. I managed to avoid getting obliterated and pulled into Cape May about an hour before dark. Today, I decided I needed to rest, and to be honest, warm up. It has been cold on the water. As I mentioned a while back I wish I had some much warmer gear. Perhaps it is a function of age but I could really use some kind of waterproof snowmobile suit. I mean, I have a ton of layers I put on and I am still freaking cold.

I will probably start heading up the Jersey shore tomorrow. Weather looks reasonable for a couple days and I may be able to get to NYC.

Best to all, Charlie

1 comment:

  1. We stopped at Barnagut Bay halfway up the coast and, after hearing how treacherous the entrance was, had not problem with it and spend a quiet night on our Rocna.

    ReplyDelete