Thursday, January 10, 2019

Night offshore

I was really tired. Nassau was only 35 miles or so away, and I knew I could get in there. Heck, if a thousand foot long cruise ship drawing 30 feet could get in, it would be easy for White Seal. So I sailed several miles away from Andros to make sure I was well away from the fringing reef, lashed the tiller, and started taking a series of cat naps. It worked out pretty well and I just sort of poked along towards the bright lights of Nassau. Around 3 AM I started getting more serious and worked on getting closer for a daylight entrance. The cruise ships started showing up around 5 and there were 6 of them all told. I called Harbour Control and they gave me permission to enter after the cruise ships were all in. So little White Seal came nosing her way in around 8:30. I went under the bridges and tied up at Nassau Yacht Haven. After a couple of hours I had completed the customs formalities and turned in for several hours of deep sleep. When I awoke I was delighted to find Calypso tied up next to me. They had continued across the banks without stopping and arrived in Morgan's Bluff just as the wind was picking up. They anchored, but were unable to get off the boat all day. They spent all day and all night pitching up and down and finally gave up and crossed to Nassau, where they cleared in.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment