Thursday, January 10, 2019

Mackie shoal

Let's see, where was I? Oh yes, crawling up on the foredeck. Normally, when I pull up the anchor I just walk up forward and start pulling on the anchor line. The boat starts moving forward, all 13000 pounds of it, and in a minute or so the anchor comes up over a roller on the bow, I secure it, walk aft, put the engine in gear, or trim the sail, and leave. But with the wind and waves, there was no way I could pull that boat forward. Heck, Arnold Schwarzenegger couldn't. So first I removed the jib from the foredeck, where I had left it secured from the previous evening. I stuffed it down the forward hatch. Then I rigged a snatch block (type of pulley) on the starboard rail. I pulled excess anchor line from the hawsepipe, ran it through the snatch block, and aft to my big primary winch. I had already started and warmed up the engine. Another trip forward to unclear the anchor line and now all the force was transferred to the winch. Putting the engine in gear, I motored ahead into the waves, steering the tiller with my legs, and hauling in the anchor line with both hands. When the chain leader reached the snatch block,knew the anchor was all the way up, I took the engine out of gear, went forward and secured the anchor. Then I hoisted the main, killed the engine, and started sailing. I was averaging over 6 knots under just the main so I didn't bother with the jib.

It was actually a great day of sailing. I had decided I would try to sail to Morgan's Bluff, Andros Island, where there is a Customs station. I knew it might be tough there, but hoped the wind might moderate and let me get in. Looking at the charts I hoped the shoals and small cays might provide some protection. I was quite tired but just kept on sailing across the banks. I encountered another sailboat out there and started up a friendship over the radio. Eventually, I left the banks and headed out onto the deep water of Tongue of the Ocean. As dusk approached I headed in towards Morgan's Bluff, and my heart sank. It was really rough and there was terrible visibility due to the glare on the water from the setting sun. I couldn't risk it, and reluctantly headed back out on the Ocean as the sun was setting.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment