Monday, November 5, 2018

Day tripper

That's what I was as I boarded a city bus and headed into Savannah this morning. It was raining, and rather bleak out if I may say. A long ride, close to an hour, through some rather gritty parts of town. As we passed over the ICW bridge I thought about the amazing infrastructure we have in this country. A couple of days ago that bridge had opened for me, shutting down 4 very busy lanes of traffic, so the lowly White Seal could pass, with no delay at all. Quite remarkable and no charge is levied.

When I arrived in the city I went through a small museum at the visitors center and then went walking for miles until my feet and legs begged me for relief . It is a lovely town, particularly with the regularly spaced small parks in the old section. A docent insisted that the historic district was bigger than the one in Charleston. Well, I hate to rain on her parade, but I am going to stick my neck out here and submit that there is no comparison with Charleston.

I was also hoping to find some information on Edward Langworthy, who had been a delegate to the Continental Congress from Georgia, but did not find anything new. We do not appear to be related , especially as most of the Langworthys started out in New England. But fun to look.

Probably head out in the morning. Next cold front will be here before I know it.

Best, Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment