Friday, November 9, 2018

A Special Place

I left Jekyll Island early this morning and headed out St. Andrew's Sound in foggy conditions with very little wind. The tide was in flood stage which made for relatively safe crossing conditions. My focus was in making it safely to the outermost buoy before beginning my turn into my destination, Cumberland Island. Once around the buoy the northern bluff of the island loomed through the mist, wild and untamed, save for a lighthouse, and a small unobtrusive camp clinging to the incline. Surf generated from the Atlantic pounded the shore. An otherworldly forest of live oak, southern pine, and draped with Spanish moss rounded out the picture. I continued inland, away from the ocean, and paralleled the shore for a few miles and left the intracoastal waterway to head up the Brickhill River. No aids to navigation, but the few shoals were easily  avoided by referencing my chart. The fog increased in intensity and added to the feeling of darkness and foreboding. And yet, it was beautiful. After several more miles I anchored at Plum Orchard, a mansion built by the Carnegie family, who used to own most of the island. I was the only boat. By this time the fog was burning off, and I went ashore. Truly massive live oaks grace the grounds and create a stunning setting for the 24,000 square foot cottage. Wandering wild horses, foraging armadillos, and a plethora of bird life complete the picture. A bit later on, several other visitors showed up and the caretaker gave us all a tour of the house. My friend Doug came in on his boat in the afternoon and we toured the house again. We will likely hike across the island tomorrow to see a wild ocean beach unlike any other on the east coast, mainly because it is typically devoid of people. Looking forward to reporting more tomorrow!

Charlie

1 comment: