Tuesday, April 25, 2023

White Seal Becomes a Motorboat

 Hi folks!

Sheesh, its been a while, hasn't it? Here I am in Charleston with nary a peep out of me as I passed thru some beautiful scenery, the Georgia low country. I thought about sailing outside for an overnight run up the coast but I just couldn't face it. So I plunged headlong into Georgia and realized again how much I love the place. The coast, anyway. Not so sure about the rest of the state. Anchored at Jekyll Island one nighr and took a pleasant jaunt ashore. It is about the most pedestrian and bicycle friendly place imaginable. The trail system is beautiful and extensive.

A couple of days later I was in Savannah, and as a pedestrian there I was relegated to 3rd class citizenship. Happy to have survived the questionable street crossings that give you about 5 seconds less than what you need. And at age 69 my ability to scamper is somewhat diminished.

I was very happy to catch up with my friends and mooring neighbors, Roger and Susan. Diligent readers will remember they raced with me in Georgetown. They are here in Charleston as well. Sadly, the wind has either been very light, or on the nose, which given that the waterway is usually quite narrow, means that I have been motoring. Not a big deal, but it just doesn't seem very righteous.

Tomorrow I will be here in Charleston for a full day. Hoping to visit a couple of museums and visit my boat friends. Upcoming weather does not loik good. Possible gale force winds Thursday nite into Friday. Don't want to stay at the marina for more than 2 nights because of the expense. Anchoring options here are terrible. Happy to be at the dock so I can visit the town without worries. Charleston is gorgeous and exceptional. I hope I don't get hate mail but Savannah looks a bit lame in comparison. The sheer numbers of preserved and maintained old homes is really something. As usual, a foray outside of the historic district exposes one to a sh*tstorm of ghastly architecture but I guess most people tolerate it so it can't be all bad. It just happens that I appreciate beauty and tradition.

Thats all for now!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment