Sunday, April 9, 2023

Magnitude

 Hi everyone!

When departing from a place like Morgan's Bluff, Andros, and sailing into Palm Beach, one is humbled by the magnitude of everything in the US. The sheer numbers of people. The noise and the traffic, which thankfully is mostly driving on the right! Simple things like great sidewalks. And the Publix supermarket, oh my goodness! Simply astounding after shopping at the Exuma market. 

After a couple of days in Palm Beach I headed back out the inlet and had a great sail up to Fort Pierce.  Hard to believe I was the only sail out there until I got to Fort Pierce, where I was joined by a couple of other sailboats coming across from the Abacos. Anchored in Fort Pierce for the night before motoring the short distance up to Vero Beach, where I spent last night. And due to a stiff north wind I have elected to stay another night. The forecast is pretty poor, with wind and rain.

I am often critical of outrageous displays of extreme wealth, (think megayachts and waterfront real estate) so I have a little story to share about some prime property in Palm Beach. There is a row of high rise condos marching north along the shore, when suddenly, they stop. They are replaced by 1.6 miles of sand dunes, mangrove marsh, and sea turtle habitat. When Britt and I discovered this last fall it literally brought tears to my eyes. The monetary value of this land had to be huge. Instead, the owners, John D and Catherine T MacArthur decided a park would be better. You've heard their names on public radio. I know that philanthropists have a desire to immortalize their names but I really can't think of a better way to do it. Kudos to their memory and to everyone else involved in preserving this bit of paradise smack dab in the middle of what is otherwise a dystopian south Florida.

Happy Easter to all,

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment