Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Covid found me

 Hi folks!

As you can see I am slipping behind in maintaining this little epistle! That is partly due to the fact I was hit by the Covid brand of semi truck last Saturday. Happily, I feel pretty good now but have been isolating on board. I am hoping to test negative tomorrow. Meanwhile, my sister showed up, and instead of staying aboard with me, had to obtain lodging ashore, which was a challenge on short notice. I feel terrible about this. If I do test negative I really hope I can get her on the boat for at least one night.

On a happier note, we had a great Round the Island Race, coming in third in our class. Our two primary competitors were really able to stretch their legs and pull ahead on this much longer course, half of which was on the ocean. Roger and Susan were awesome crew! Roger probably still has sore shoulders from short tacking to windward along the shore. It's really a cool race with hazards in the way of shallow water, coral reefs, and little in the way of navigational aids. But heck, that describes the entire country. So I ended up having to make two trips to the podium to receive my prizes. For winning the first race I got a bottle of rum and a blue regatta burgee. For the third place finish I got some Sands beer and a yellow burgee.  There were probably a couple hundred people in attendance and this may have been where I picked up covid. Or it may have been the next afternoon when I attended the Ministry of Tourism dinner at the same venue.

I must say I am tiring a bit of Georgetown and eager to be underway again. Hopefully I will be able to visit with my 10 family members over the next 10 days. Then my brother in law Mike comes on the 20th. He and I will go thru the Exumas to Nassau with him flying out on the 30th. That's the plan anyways.....

I did finally get my extensions for the cruising permit and immigration. And coincidentally there are questions being raised by local news organizations about what is happening with these funds. Apparently the private contractor has not been very good about turning them over to the government.

Gotta run. Trying to get another room for my sister.

Best, Charlie

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better, hope the rest of your trip is Covid-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your Covid infection, Charlie. Glad to hear you are recovering though and that you are winning those races! Sounds like a like of fun. Have fun with the family! Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne! Had a great time with family! More arrivals tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete