Sunday, February 12, 2023

I'm So Vain

 I probly think this song is about me!

Hi everyone!

With apologies to Carly Simon I underwent a real scalping at the local barbershop a few days ago. It had been a good six months since the last haircut and my hair had gotten long and blonde. Those two conditions are rather unusual for someone of my advanced years and I was quite pleased about it. The fact I have hair to cut is really quite remarkable and I don't know anyone my age with naturally blonde hair. So I sidle nervously into the barbershop and await my turn. One of the barbers was finishing up and his customer was not pleased with the result. I should have walked out right there. Instead, I entered the chair and observed the grin on my executioners face. I said I was looking for a very light trim, with removal of perhaps a half inch. As he made preparations he swiveled me away from the mirror and fired up the clippers. My heart sank as a huge shock of hair fell to the floor from the first pass. I was speechless with horror. A couple more passes and I found my voice, saying, "that seems like an awful lot!" He swiveled me around so I could see the damage. At that point I suggested he just clean it up as best as possible and to please not make it any shorter. He tried, but basically failed. Leaving the shop I felt naked and exposed, with my overriding concern to get back to the boat where no one could see me. 

It's been a few days and I can laugh about it now. There have been plenty of comments and some strange looks but I haven't become the pariah I thought I was destined to be.

Best regards, Old Baldy


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Charlie!! I hope Mary and Meg captured plenty of pictures before you lost your long blond locks! ;) Luckily you are handsome to begin with and anyway, you've got the opportunity to keep growing it back out!
    Love,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne, the hatchet job is behind me and I can laugh about it!

    ReplyDelete