Thursday, August 18, 2022

 Definition of cruising

Boat repair in exotic locations. Thanks to my good friend Silas for that definition. Not sure if Orwell, Vermont qualifies as an exotic location, but it is a lovely place. 

After the rain stopped and things dried off, I sanded the mast and applied the first coat of paint. My former boss and friend, George, would refer to it as a 20 footer. This means that it presents well at a distance of 20 feet. I suppose I could strive for a true yacht finish, involving hundreds of dollars in multi part linear polyurethane painting components, and getting the mast inside a paint booth where I could utilize maximum technology, but no. I'm just using a sheet of sandpaper, a bit of paint thinner, and a quart of Rustoleum. Total cost, with tax, a bit over 20 bucks.

A brief trip back in time, to Charleston, 50 years ago. We spent several delightful days there, while my father managed to rustle up another captain, a really great local guy named Fred Wickman. We set out one late afternoon, and by midnight we were in a strong northeast wind, blowing over 30 knots. It was spectacular sailing, running wing and wing. About 3 am, Fred asked me to douse the jib and the staysail, as they were mostly just flogging about. The staysail was easy, but jib involved making my way out on the bowsprit to haul down and secure the sail. I took in the view, with the big seas, the low scudding clouds, the moon flashin through, and resolved to always remember that moment. I still do.

Battery a bit low, so, Good night all!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment