Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Foolishness afloat

The weather has actually been downright bad today, although I am sure no one back home will be too upset. We have had a series of ugly squalls with very heavy rain which has resulted in a rash of anchor dragging incidents. The wind switched about 100 degrees, catching boats by surprise and putting several aground. Incidentally, the dragging boats were using all chain rode, from what I could see. No problems at all with White Seal, with her mostly nylon rode. It is like a giant rubber band in high winds and handles the shock of gusts with ease.

So the morning radio net was underway as all heck was breaking loose and boaters were calling in to report the various dragging yachts. That was when we heard the best transmission ever: "the Cat's Ass is dragging!" Yes, some individual has named their catamaran the Cats Ass. And it was dragging. Mary laughed so hard I was afraid she would hurt herself. Some of the boat names are pretty hilarious, attempting to be clever, but often falling a bit short. Another one, worthy of note for poor taste, is the Wet Dream. I mean, really. You've spent 6 figures for a boat and give it a name like that? Come on!

Mary and I have gotten hornswoggled into helping with a skit on the talent show. A Brit named Jillian is doing a spoof of the morning net and it should be fun. Goodness knows there is plenty of material to draw from! I am not too excited about getting up in a stage, but I guess I'll do it. Regatta registration was today but it got wiped out by the rain. Everybody ran to the Chat and Chill (beach bar) to escape the downpour.

Mary has been telling me we should go to Cuba, since we are so close. There are a bunch of folks headed there, mostly Canadians. Easy for them. Not so much for Americans. I would love to go there!

Best to all, Charlie

1 comment: