Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Looking back

Hi fellow sailors,

The last couple of nights have been spent sleeping in a real bed, with no worries about tide changes, wind shifts at 0300, or dragging anchor. I am still in a bit of disbelief that the trip is over. White Seal tests comfortably on her old, familiar, mooring in Kingsland Bay, waiting for me to get the mast back up.

In retrospect,  it was a good trip overall. There were plenty of concerns along the way, but every delay and obstacle was overcome. The Bahamas are a wonderful destination, but the East Coast is equally so. This is the 5th time I have made the trip, and every time I discover new and beautiful places, as well as meeting great people. For this trip is, more than anything, about people. More than anyone, my daughter Mary, who joined me for 3 months. I am eternally grateful for this time with her. Also, my wonderful friends Roger Holzapfel, Tom Hickley, and Carroll Maxwell; who joined me for a few days along the way. They were great, and I apologize for talking too much! I was so excited to have you aboard. Mary's friend and college roommate,  Maggie Smith, was also wonderful to have on board, and I am happy to have her as a new friend. My brother in law , Mike Homza, was also a great crew member to have aboard for  a few days.
Most importantly,  my wonderful wife Meg, who decided not to join me on this trip, stayed home and kept things going during what turned out to be an arduous winter. She stayed employed and somehow managed to keep the homestead solvent. Thank you Meg!

When making a trip like this, you make lots of people along the way. Sailors are all in it together. You'll meet in an anchorage, strike up an acquaintanceship, then bump into them in another harbor a thousand miles away. It is very, very cool. And nowadays much easier to keep in touch via email. And the Bahamians are awesome. Naturally welcoming and gregarious,  they make the Bahamas a wonderful place to cruise. I would love to spend more time living in a small Bahamian town, like my friend Kathleen Patten does in Black Point, Exuma, and really get to know a specific community. One thing that amuses me is when folks here in the US ask if I have any concerns about piracy when I sail in the Bahamas. I respond that there are more pirates in Ferrisburgh!

Another thing people ask about are storms. Sure, you are going to get them. Fortunately,  with good forecasting, I am usually able to be anchored someplace with good protection. I did go thru a pretty serious storm with my buddy Tom Hickley on Chesapeake Bay. That was the worst on this trip with winds gusting to near hurricane force. Glad when that was over!

It is interesting how we tend to forget the unpleasant and sometimes terrifying aspects of cruising. A few days ago, my main focus was on just getting home. But it is impossible to extinguish that desire to make long trips in small boats. And so, the dream continues.

Fair winds to all, Charlie

1 comment:

  1. I'm so delighted to find this blog! HI CHARLIE! I have a zillion questions but I'll save them for some time over the winter, when I plan to be on the hard at Point Bay with my little 23' O'Day. Miss you, love to Meg. Beth Sightler (Mead)

    ReplyDelete