Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Oxford

 Yesterday resulted in more great sailing! I motored out of Weems Creek over to the fuel dock in Annapolis, where the rather snarky manager was not happy with my purchase of 6 and a half gallons of diesel. That figure represented my useage from Atlantic Highlands and resulted from motoring at various points when the wind fizzled out, as well as thru the C&D canal, where sailing is prohibited. At any rate, this worthy informed me that there would be a twenty dollar charge to fill my 2 five gallon water jugs. I declined the opportunity and shoved off. I motored past the mooring field and hoisted sail in a nice northwesterly breeze. Headed down the Bay in the company of several Navy vessels and a slew of commercial traffic. A few hours later I headed up the Choptank River and eventually to the Tred Avon. I thought about entering the tight harbor of Oxford under sail, as the wind served well  but decided against it. I am older, and ostensibly wiser, right? Dropped anchor in a really lovely town. Tons of boats, and today I went poking around in the Cutts and Case Shipyard. This yard is just fantastic, especially for wooden boat afficianados. Walking around town was great too. This is part of Talbot County and it's most famous inhabitant was none other than Frederick Douglass, whose autobiography I happen to be reading. So there is a lot of history here, much of it very painful. And yet, great natural beauty and richly prolific with life.

I will likely head back across the Bay tomorrow for Solomon's Island. Weather looks good.

Best regards. Charlie

6 comments:

  1. Checking in on your progress, old friend. It's so quaint that you're not out capturing all of this on an array of Gopro cameras, then publishing 20-minute movies of your progress! I digress.
    For some reason the byzantine workings of Google Blogger would not allow me to comment via mobile phone.
    Re: your water supply in the previous post. Perhaps your whinging guests might run their water through a coffee filter, or a portable camping RO pump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack! Just keeping it simple. I had an opportunity to top of water yesterday, but it failed the taste test. Might be able to get some in Reedville.

      Delete
  2. By the way, that marina manager in Annapolis is what the Brits call a "Jobsworth".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charlie, I have a nephew in Lusby (Solomon Is) who would be happy to help if you need any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Will, thanks but I left Solomons this morning!

      Delete
  4. Loved reading about Oxford. My folks always loved the Eastern Shore and retired to Easton, just down the road, on Shipshead Creek, so that, as my Dad said, he could "tie the boat to the door knob." They spent a lot of time at the Tred Avon Yacht Club in Oxford. Your posat brought back great memories. Thanks, and stay safe! -- Tim Etchells

    ReplyDelete